How Ready Are You?
Assignment 4 – Analysis
- Characterize the various responsibilities of a community in surviving a natural / man-made disaster.
- Deliverable: Essay
- Explain how better emergency preparedness by agencies and citizens could have benefited the citizens of the Ninth Ward in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina in a 3-paragraph essay. In paragraph 1, share what you learned about the disaster. In paragraph 2, analyze how thing could have been better if what you've learned about disaster preparedness were applied. In paragraph 3, share your opinion regarding the level of confidence one should have in government agencies as compared to in one's own abilities during an emergency.
- Watch the “When the Levees Broke, Part 1”video on the media page.
- Watch the “Katrina” video poem by Ralph’s son Mark Anthony on the media page.
- Considering what you've learned about emergency preparedness, how could the people of New Orleans have been better prepared for the natural and engineering disaster of Hurricane Katrina? What responsibility did various agencies and people need to assume in order to save lives? Why is the film called “When the Levees Broke”? Were first lady’s Barbara Bush’s words (Listen to the “Barbara Bush” MP3 audio file on the media page) regarding victims insensitive?
- Write 3-paragraph essay
- When you have completed this assignment, please save your Essay in your ASSIGNMENTS folder.
Click Here to submit assignment